History of KHPC

The History of Kennedy Heights Presbyterian Church

The Kennedy Heights Presbyterian Church celebrated its 100th birthday in 2009. The church began as a Sunday School class in 1906 and was formally organized on July, 1, 1909 when 16 members signed the charter to become a Presbyterian Church. In October 1910, a small white wooden church was dedicated on the current property on Kennedy Avenue. In 1930, a brick building with a sanctuary and basement meeting hall was built. An educational wing was added in 1951. In 1961, the sanctuary was enlarged, and the front of the building was extended to its present design. In 2004, needlepoint tapestries designed by liturgical artist Catherine Kapikian were installed in the sanctuary chancel.

Today, the church is home to the Caring Place, and it provides a meeting place for the Kennedy Heights Community Council and other community groups. Our members are active in the work of the Interfaith Hospitality Network. The congregation enjoys an exceptional ministry of music which includes choirs, hand bells and liturgical dancing. Church members have been active in church government on the national and local levels. Kennedy Heights has provided three moderators to Presbytery (most recently, Bill Brown), and Patricia Brown served as moderator to the national General Assembly. Kennedy Heights has provided leadership in several Presbytery and Presbyterian women's activities as well.

The church has been a purposefully integrated congregation since 1963. Its mission is to "share the good news of Jesus Christ with all people as a racially diverse congregation through worship, service, education and fellowship."